Balancing a Part-time Job With School
Coming into college, you’re given an important decision. You can decide what is most important to you: grades, sleep, or a social life. Now, add a part-time job into the picture. Question is, how do you balance a part-time job with school?
You can’t have it all, no matter how much you want to convince yourself of that. Because of all the stresses that come from deadlines, midterms, and papers that keep you up at night, it’s hard to find a balance when adding in a social life, let alone a job. But even with that said, it’s still possible and many people mix work and school together.
1. Time management is your best friend. Plan out your schedule and don’t waste time every day trying to plan that out. Use every hour wisely, being productive with everything you do. And yes, that means doing assignments when you’re free to making time to get coffee with someone. Having a grip on what you’re doing makes work and study a whole lot easier.
2. Do something you love. Or at least, something you like. If you’re capable of finding a job you enjoy and which relates to your major, it makes life easier and makes work not feel like a hassle. But know that even if you can’t find something that relates, go for the job that you need.
If you’re introverted, you might like working in a library. If you’re extroverted, you might enjoy working in the cafeteria more to be around people.
3. Take it one step at a time. You’ll hurt yourself more if you tell yourself that you need to do everything at once. It’s great to be able to work ahead but don’t tell yourself you need to get it all done in one night. Take breaks when you need them; your body will let you know when you need to. Don’t put work before grades because passing is what will help you keep your job.
4. Finally, don’t overcommit. It’s setting you up for failure. It is a domino effect. If you spend too much time with friends one night or with a school group you decided to be a part of, you might put off a paper or lose sleep you could have had. That could cause you to miss work or class because you slept in or got caught up procrastinating. All of this makes you stressed and puts the situation on repeat. Know what you need to do to succeed and focus on that.
Having a part-time job isn’t the worst thing in the world. Hey, being in college, you need this thing called money to help pay for not only school but also that caramel macchiato with almond milk that you like having every morning, or that night out you really needed. Just manage your time, know what you can handle, keep working hard, and most of all, take care of yourself.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
NYU JOB LISTINGSSee all NYU Job Listings
NYU Job Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeColumbia UniversityCornell UniversityFordham UniversityNew York UniversityUniversity at Buffalo, SUNYStony Brook UniversitySyracuse UniversityBernard M Baruch CollegeHunter CollegeQueens CollegeSt. John's UniversitySUNY at AlbanyBrooklyn CollegeCollege of Staten IslandCity College of New YorkLehman CollegeNew York Institute of TechnologyHofstra UniversityPace UniversityRensselaer Polytechnic InstituteBinghamton UniversityBuffalo State CollegeRochester Institute of TechnologyAdelphi UniversityVassar CollegeSUNY New PaltzManhattanville CollegeState University of New York at GeneseoBarnard CollegeColumbia-Greene Community CollegeDutchess Community CollegeBard CollegeMarist CollegeUlster County Community CollegeMount Saint Mary CollegeYeshiva UniversitySUNY Institute of TechnologyErie Community CollegeSUNY PotsdamGenesee Community CollegeElmira CollegeBrockportRockland Community CollegeIthaca CollegeUniversity of RochesterAlbany College of PharmacyAlfred UniversityBank Street College of EducationBerkeley CollegeBoricua CollegeBriarcliffe CollegeBrooklyn Law SchoolCanisius CollegeCazenovia CollegeClarkson UniversityColgate UniversityCollege of Mount Saint VincentCulinary Institute of AmericaCUNY Graduate School and University CenterCUNY John Jay College of Criminal JusticeCUNY Medgar Evers CollegeCUNY York CollegeD'Youville CollegeDaemen CollegeDominican CollegeDowling CollegeFarmingdale State CollegeFashion Institute of TechnologyFive Towns CollegeGlobe Institute of TechnologyHamilton CollegeHartwick CollegeHilbert CollegeHobart and William Smith CollegesHoughton CollegeIona CollegeKeuka CollegeLe Moyne CollegeLong Island UniversityManhattan CollegeManhattanville CollegeMarymount Manhattan CollegeMedaille CollegeMercy CollegeMetropolitan College of New YorkMolloy CollegeMonroe CollegeMorrisville State CollegeNazareth College of RochesterNew York Law SchoolNew York Medical CollegeNiagara UniversityNyack CollegePolytechnic Institute of New York UniversityPratt InstituteRoberts Wesleyan CollegeSage College of AlbanySt. Bonaventure UniversitySaint John Fisher CollegeSaint Joseph's CollegeSt. Thomas Aquinas CollegeSarah Lawrence CollegeSiena CollegeSkidmore CollegeSt. Francis CollegeSt. Lawrence UniversitySUNY at FredoniaSUNY College at CortlandSUNY College at Old WestburySUNY College at OneontaSUNY at OswegoSUNY at PlattsburghSUNY College at PurchaseSUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at CobleskillSUNY College of Environmental Science and ForestryAlfred State CollegeSUNY CantonSUNY at DelhiSUNY Empire State CollegeSUNY Health Science Center at BrooklynSUNY Upstate Medical UniversitySUNY Maritime CollegeTeachers College, Columbia UniversityThe College of New RochelleThe College of Saint RoseThe Juilliard SchoolThe New SchoolTouro CollegeUnion CollegeUnited States Military AcademyUtica CollegeVaughn College of Aeronautics and TechnologyWagner CollegeThe Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and ArtLaGuardia Community CollegeThe New York Conservatory for Dramatic ArtsSuffolk County Community CollegeBorough of Manhattan Community CollegeKingsborough Community CollegeHudson Valley Community CollegeFinger Lakes Community CollegeAdirondack Community College American Academy of Dramatic Arts- New YorkBronx Community College Cayuga County Community CollegeClinton Community College (NY)Corning Community College Fulton-Montgomery Community CollegeHelene Fuld College of Nursing Herkimer County Community CollegeHostos Community College Jamestown Community College Mohawk Valley Community CollegeMonroe Community College Nassau Community College Onondaga Community College Orange County Community CollegeQueensborough Community CollegeSchenectady County Community CollegeSUNY Broome Community CollegeTompkins-Cortland Community CollegeWestchester Community College
- By State
- By City