Freshman Year Housing and How to Survive
Freshman year has to be one of the weirdest times of one’s life. You move to a new place, take new classes with new teachers, eat a lot of mass-produced food, and you try to find your new niche. As if the transition is not hard enough, the college then decides to throw you into a, most likely, very small room with a stranger.
Freshman year housing and the random roommate assignment. We all waited for it that summer before arrival, checking our emails constantly. When the notification finally arrives, you instantly check all social media to figure out what this person is like, and you debate if you should be the first to send the awkward “hello” message.
My recommendation: do it. Send the message. Be the friendly one because, chances are, that other person behind the screen is just as nervous as you. If you break through the awkwardness early on, that will be one less hurdle to conquer upon arrival. Plus, it’s helpful to plan who is bringing what.
If you’re lucky enough, like I was, then you’ll receive an email with not one, but TWO names attached to it. Congratulations, your life just got 10x more complicated but also 10x more fun.
So how do you live this new style? Especially if you’re used to having your own room? Pro Tip: Go. With. The. Flow.
This may sound cliche, but it has never more true than in this situation. There are going to be things that bother you about each person, and, believe me, after four months together, the semester breaks are needed. But if you remain laid back, your semester will be MUCH more enjoyable.
Take these hints:
1. If someone wants to talk on the phone in the room, let them. As long as it’s not a 24/7 thing, you can deal for a little while.
2. Don’t stress the little things. Everyone has their quirks. Some of them they may not realize are a problem. As long as these people don’t intentionally try to bother you, let it go.
3. If you’re chill, they’ll be chill. Chances are, if you act stressed out, you’re going to stress them out. So why make matters worse?
4. Be the roommate you want. You know what you like and don’t like, so act the way you want your roommate to act, and hopefully, they’ll get the hint.
5. Don’t have high expectations. The lower the ones you set, the happier you’ll be.
I had quite the trio freshman year. We were all pretty different, yet we all made it through the whole year together. While, in the end, I did end up being the classic example of someone who grows closer to one roommate more than the other, I know that I either would still have my back two years later. The key to our success was relaxation. We understood each other’s different habits, and we respected them.
These tips are not just for freshman year either. You’ll move in with your best friends sophomore year and realize all sorts of things about them that you had no idea about. Just keep calm and carry on (one more cliche was necessary here).
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent NYU News Articles
RECENT NYU CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeColumbia UniversityCornell UniversityFordham UniversityNew York UniversityUniversity at Buffalo, SUNYStony Brook UniversitySyracuse UniversityBernard M Baruch CollegeHunter CollegeQueens CollegeSt. John's UniversitySUNY at AlbanyBrooklyn CollegeCollege of Staten IslandCity College of New YorkLehman CollegeNew York Institute of TechnologyHofstra UniversityPace UniversityRensselaer Polytechnic InstituteBinghamton UniversityBuffalo State CollegeRochester Institute of TechnologyAdelphi UniversityVassar CollegeSUNY New PaltzManhattanville CollegeState University of New York at GeneseoBarnard CollegeColumbia-Greene Community CollegeDutchess Community CollegeBard CollegeMarist CollegeUlster County Community CollegeMount Saint Mary CollegeYeshiva UniversitySUNY Institute of TechnologyErie Community CollegeSUNY PotsdamGenesee Community CollegeElmira CollegeBrockportRockland Community CollegeIthaca CollegeUniversity of RochesterAlbany College of PharmacyAlfred UniversityBank Street College of EducationBerkeley CollegeBoricua CollegeBriarcliffe CollegeBrooklyn Law SchoolCanisius CollegeCazenovia CollegeClarkson UniversityColgate UniversityCollege of Mount Saint VincentCulinary Institute of AmericaCUNY Graduate School and University CenterCUNY John Jay College of Criminal JusticeCUNY Medgar Evers CollegeCUNY York CollegeD'Youville CollegeDaemen CollegeDominican CollegeDowling CollegeFarmingdale State CollegeFashion Institute of TechnologyFive Towns CollegeGlobe Institute of TechnologyHamilton CollegeHartwick CollegeHilbert CollegeHobart and William Smith CollegesHoughton CollegeIona CollegeKeuka CollegeLe Moyne CollegeLong Island UniversityManhattan CollegeManhattanville CollegeMarymount Manhattan CollegeMedaille CollegeMercy CollegeMetropolitan College of New YorkMolloy CollegeMonroe CollegeMorrisville State CollegeNazareth College of RochesterNew York Law SchoolNew York Medical CollegeNiagara UniversityNyack CollegePolytechnic Institute of New York UniversityPratt InstituteRoberts Wesleyan CollegeSage College of AlbanySt. Bonaventure UniversitySaint John Fisher CollegeSaint Joseph's CollegeSt. Thomas Aquinas CollegeSarah Lawrence CollegeSiena CollegeSkidmore CollegeSt. Francis CollegeSt. Lawrence UniversitySUNY at FredoniaSUNY College at CortlandSUNY College at Old WestburySUNY College at OneontaSUNY at OswegoSUNY at PlattsburghSUNY College at PurchaseSUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at CobleskillSUNY College of Environmental Science and ForestryAlfred State CollegeSUNY CantonSUNY at DelhiSUNY Empire State CollegeSUNY Health Science Center at BrooklynSUNY Upstate Medical UniversitySUNY Maritime CollegeTeachers College, Columbia UniversityThe College of New RochelleThe College of Saint RoseThe Juilliard SchoolThe New SchoolTouro CollegeUnion CollegeUnited States Military AcademyUtica CollegeVaughn College of Aeronautics and TechnologyWagner CollegeThe Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and ArtLaGuardia Community CollegeThe New York Conservatory for Dramatic ArtsSuffolk County Community CollegeBorough of Manhattan Community CollegeKingsborough Community CollegeHudson Valley Community CollegeFinger Lakes Community CollegeAdirondack Community College American Academy of Dramatic Arts- New YorkBronx Community College Cayuga County Community CollegeClinton Community College (NY)Corning Community College Fulton-Montgomery Community CollegeHelene Fuld College of Nursing Herkimer County Community CollegeHostos Community College Jamestown Community College Mohawk Valley Community CollegeMonroe Community College Nassau Community College Onondaga Community College Orange County Community CollegeQueensborough Community CollegeSchenectady County Community CollegeSUNY Broome Community CollegeTompkins-Cortland Community CollegeWestchester Community College
- By State
- By City