6 Quick and Easy Meals for Dorm and Apartment Life
When you are a college student, cooking like Gordon Ramsay will not be your first concern. You have classes, extracurricular activities, internships, part-time jobs, and more to worry about.
At the end of the day, you are probably ready to just toss some Ramen on the stove or put your local pizza place on speed dial and call it a night, right? Before you do either of those things, why not consider a healthier or more affordable option? Cooking.
Wait, do not click away from this article. Stay with me now. Cooking does not have to be too much of a chore with the right recipes! Read on to find the best, quick and easy meals for college students.
Spicy Breakfast Burritos
If you are craving Taco Bell, but lack the time or the money, cooking a quick and easy breakfast burrito will be muy bueno!
You will need:
1. Spray down a pan with oil or Pam and put the stovetop on medium heat.
2. Slice the baby tomatoes into smaller portions. Sautee the spinach and baby tomatoes for a few minutes, then add salt and pepper, or whatever other seasonings you prefer. Pour this mixture into the tortilla.
3. Next, scramble an egg, or cook it sunny-side up — whatever your preference is.
4. Place the cooked egg in the tortilla and sprinkle cheese on top. Use as much hot sauce as you would like. Wrap the tortilla together and say adios to hunger!
If you have a little extra time to try something classy and sophisticated, making an omelet is the right choice for a top-notch breakfast.
You will need:
1. Spray down a pan with oil or Pam and put the stovetop on high heat.
2. Slice the baby tomatoes into smaller portions. Scramble three eggs together, but do not add milk.
3. Sauté the spinach and baby tomatoes for a few minutes, then pour the egg mixture in. Immediately lower the heat levels down to low or medium. Let the egg mixture cook, occasionally using a spatula to lift the cooked egg portion to allow the uncooked egg mixture to reach the bottom of the pan.
4. Once the mixture is solid enough, it’s time to flip it. If you are brave, try to flip the omelet using only the pan and your strength. If not, that’s okay, use the spatula to flip your omelet. Once your omelet is completely cooked, feel free to sprinkle some cheese in the middle and then close it up, allowing the cheese to melt on the inside. Bon appetit!
Take a college classic and make it into something healthy and extraordinary.
You will need:
•Ramen noodle soup (any flavor)
1. Take a saucepan, fill it with three cups of water, and place it on the stove to boil at high heat. Once the water is boiling, toss the Ramen noodle block in the saucepan and allow it to cook for three minutes.
2. Spray down a pan with oil or Pam and put the stovetop on medium heat. Sautee the spinach for a few minutes, then add salt and pepper, or whatever other seasonings you may prefer.
3. Scramble an egg in the same pan as the spinach. Once the Ramen noodles are done, drain the saucepan completely of water. Pour the noodles into the pan and mix them with the spinach and egg, while mixing in the Ramen noodle seasoning, or seasoning of your own choice.
4. Continue to mix and sauté the mixture until the seasoning has been equally dispersed. Enjoy!
Take a classic Italian dish and bring it into your dorm for an excellent, tasty lunch.
You will need:
•Balsamic vinegar dressing
1. Slice up a block of mozzarella cheese and a tomato, or tomatoes, depending on how many people you are serving.
2. Layer the slices of mozzarella and tomato one by one, including a basil leaf in between each.
3. Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar salad dressing and enjoy!
Put your local pizza delivery order on hold and make your own savory pizza dish today!
You will need:
•One bagel, sliced into two
•Shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (or opt to use a microwave — whichever is more convenient!).
2. Sprinkle a generous amount of mozzarella cheese onto your two bagel slices. Toss as many pieces of pepperoni as desired.
3. Bake for 10 minutes for ultimate crispiness, or microwave until the cheese melts. Remove the bagel pizzas and allow them to cool for two minutes. Enjoy!
This fun dish is easier to make than you might imagine!
You will need:
•Shredded Mexican cheese
1. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded Mexican cheese mixture onto a tortilla.
2. Place the other tortilla on top and microwave for two minutes. If you would prefer a crispier quesadilla, pan-fry the quesadilla on your stovetop until the tortilla begins to lightly brown.
3. Slice into eight pieces, allow the dish to cool, then enjoy!
Learn more about Kaplan’s test prep options and start building the confidence you need for Test Day.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Food Articles
NYU TEST PREP LISTINGSSee all NYU Test Prep Listings
NYU Test Prep Listings
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
MOST POPULAR NYU NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeColumbia UniversityCornell UniversityFordham UniversityNew York UniversityUniversity at Buffalo, SUNYStony Brook UniversitySyracuse UniversityBernard M Baruch CollegeHunter CollegeQueens CollegeSt. John's UniversitySUNY at AlbanyBrooklyn CollegeCollege of Staten IslandCity College of New YorkLehman CollegeNew York Institute of TechnologyHofstra UniversityPace UniversityRensselaer Polytechnic InstituteBinghamton UniversityBuffalo State CollegeRochester Institute of TechnologyAdelphi UniversityVassar CollegeSUNY New PaltzManhattanville CollegeState University of New York at GeneseoBarnard CollegeColumbia-Greene Community CollegeDutchess Community CollegeBard CollegeMarist CollegeUlster County Community CollegeMount Saint Mary CollegeYeshiva UniversitySUNY Institute of TechnologyErie Community CollegeSUNY PotsdamGenesee Community CollegeElmira CollegeBrockportRockland Community CollegeIthaca CollegeUniversity of RochesterAlbany College of PharmacyAlfred UniversityBank Street College of EducationBerkeley CollegeBoricua CollegeBriarcliffe CollegeBrooklyn Law SchoolCanisius CollegeCazenovia CollegeClarkson UniversityColgate UniversityCollege of Mount Saint VincentCulinary Institute of AmericaCUNY Graduate School and University CenterCUNY John Jay College of Criminal JusticeCUNY Medgar Evers CollegeCUNY York CollegeD'Youville CollegeDaemen CollegeDominican CollegeDowling CollegeFarmingdale State CollegeFashion Institute of TechnologyFive Towns CollegeGlobe Institute of TechnologyHamilton CollegeHartwick CollegeHilbert CollegeHobart and William Smith CollegesHoughton CollegeIona CollegeKeuka CollegeLe Moyne CollegeLong Island UniversityManhattan CollegeManhattanville CollegeMarymount Manhattan CollegeMedaille CollegeMercy CollegeMetropolitan College of New YorkMolloy CollegeMonroe CollegeMorrisville State CollegeNazareth College of RochesterNew York Law SchoolNew York Medical CollegeNiagara UniversityNyack CollegePolytechnic Institute of New York UniversityPratt InstituteRoberts Wesleyan CollegeSage College of AlbanySt. Bonaventure UniversitySaint John Fisher CollegeSaint Joseph's CollegeSt. Thomas Aquinas CollegeSarah Lawrence CollegeSiena CollegeSkidmore CollegeSt. Francis CollegeSt. Lawrence UniversitySUNY at FredoniaSUNY College at CortlandSUNY College at Old WestburySUNY College at OneontaSUNY at OswegoSUNY at PlattsburghSUNY College at PurchaseSUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at CobleskillSUNY College of Environmental Science and ForestryAlfred State CollegeSUNY CantonSUNY at DelhiSUNY Empire State CollegeSUNY Health Science Center at BrooklynSUNY Upstate Medical UniversitySUNY Maritime CollegeTeachers College, Columbia UniversityThe College of New RochelleThe College of Saint RoseThe Juilliard SchoolThe New SchoolTouro CollegeUnion CollegeUnited States Military AcademyUtica CollegeVaughn College of Aeronautics and TechnologyWagner CollegeThe Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and ArtLaGuardia Community CollegeThe New York Conservatory for Dramatic ArtsSuffolk County Community CollegeBorough of Manhattan Community CollegeKingsborough Community CollegeHudson Valley Community CollegeFinger Lakes Community CollegeAdirondack Community College American Academy of Dramatic Arts- New YorkBronx Community College Cayuga County Community CollegeClinton Community College (NY)Corning Community College Fulton-Montgomery Community CollegeHelene Fuld College of Nursing Herkimer County Community CollegeHostos Community College Jamestown Community College Mohawk Valley Community CollegeMonroe Community College Nassau Community College Onondaga Community College Orange County Community CollegeQueensborough Community CollegeSchenectady County Community CollegeSUNY Broome Community CollegeTompkins-Cortland Community CollegeWestchester Community College
- By State
- By City