7 Things You Promise Your Pets Over Thanksgiving Break
As we all venture homewards, our snapchat stories and Instagram profiles fill with videos and perfectly captured moments of none other than our pets, our greatest loves, all perfectly happy and excited now that their favorite owner has returned to the house. We give them all our love and thankfulness, and in return, they give us slobbering kisses and quiet snuggles in front of the TV screen that we’ve been missing for three months now. With our hearts swept away again by our favorite furry creatures, we get a little reckless with our promises.
1) “I’ll never leave you again.”
Not only is this illogical and impossible, given classes start up again on Monday, it’s also a flat out lie. Of course we will be leaving again. Our favorite companion doesn’t need to know that, though, and we’re good enough at pretending that our farewell tears will be masked well enough that they won’t pick up on them until it’s too late.
2) “And not only will I never leave you, I’ll cuddle you forever.”
While this is more accurate for the smaller pets than the larger ones, it’s still a promise we make. No, I won’t be leaving this couch ever again. And yes, you have dibs on the spot next to me and on my lap for the rest of time.
3) “Even when I have to pee, I will remain here.”
We tell our pets as they sit curled up against us, perfectly content for the first time since we’ve left, that we won’t move. Not ever. Not even in the case of an emergency. No, I’m not trying to leave, your fur is just making me a little sweaty. And speaking of which—
4) “I will keep myself under this blanket because it is your favorite blanket.”
Despite a slight heatstroke and a gradually increasing fever, we all guarantee and absolutely vow to keep the blanket wrapped around us because it is your favorite blanket, and you will only sit on this specific blanket, and it makes you happy. No one wants to make you unhappy ever again, not after our prolonged, cruel absence.
5) “When I went away, it was a mistake.”
Even though college is the best time we’ve had in a while, we won’t be telling our pets that. We tell them stories about how terrible it is that we’ve gone away and how horrible the place everyone calls “college” turned out to be.
6) “In fact, they made me go.”
Blaming our absence on our parents is the smartest route to take. It leads to the sweetest form of pet affection, and it gives them reasons to forgive us. Especially if your pet is a cat.
7) “I will always be unhappy without you.”
Well, maybe this one is true.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Humor Articles
Recent NYU News Articles
RECENT NYU CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeColumbia UniversityCornell UniversityFordham UniversityNew York UniversityUniversity at Buffalo, SUNYStony Brook UniversitySyracuse UniversityBernard M Baruch CollegeHunter CollegeQueens CollegeSt. John's UniversitySUNY at AlbanyBrooklyn CollegeCollege of Staten IslandCity College of New YorkLehman CollegeNew York Institute of TechnologyHofstra UniversityPace UniversityRensselaer Polytechnic InstituteBinghamton UniversityBuffalo State CollegeRochester Institute of TechnologyAdelphi UniversityVassar CollegeSUNY New PaltzManhattanville CollegeState University of New York at GeneseoBarnard CollegeColumbia-Greene Community CollegeDutchess Community CollegeBard CollegeMarist CollegeUlster County Community CollegeMount Saint Mary CollegeYeshiva UniversitySUNY Institute of TechnologyErie Community CollegeSUNY PotsdamGenesee Community CollegeElmira CollegeBrockportRockland Community CollegeIthaca CollegeUniversity of RochesterAlbany College of PharmacyAlfred UniversityBank Street College of EducationBerkeley CollegeBoricua CollegeBriarcliffe CollegeBrooklyn Law SchoolCanisius CollegeCazenovia CollegeClarkson UniversityColgate UniversityCollege of Mount Saint VincentCulinary Institute of AmericaCUNY Graduate School and University CenterCUNY John Jay College of Criminal JusticeCUNY Medgar Evers CollegeCUNY York CollegeD'Youville CollegeDaemen CollegeDominican CollegeDowling CollegeFarmingdale State CollegeFashion Institute of TechnologyFive Towns CollegeGlobe Institute of TechnologyHamilton CollegeHartwick CollegeHilbert CollegeHobart and William Smith CollegesHoughton CollegeIona CollegeKeuka CollegeLe Moyne CollegeLong Island UniversityManhattan CollegeManhattanville CollegeMarymount Manhattan CollegeMedaille CollegeMercy CollegeMetropolitan College of New YorkMolloy CollegeMonroe CollegeMorrisville State CollegeNazareth College of RochesterNew York Law SchoolNew York Medical CollegeNiagara UniversityNyack CollegePolytechnic Institute of New York UniversityPratt InstituteRoberts Wesleyan CollegeSage College of AlbanySt. Bonaventure UniversitySaint John Fisher CollegeSaint Joseph's CollegeSt. Thomas Aquinas CollegeSarah Lawrence CollegeSiena CollegeSkidmore CollegeSt. Francis CollegeSt. Lawrence UniversitySUNY at FredoniaSUNY College at CortlandSUNY College at Old WestburySUNY College at OneontaSUNY at OswegoSUNY at PlattsburghSUNY College at PurchaseSUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at CobleskillSUNY College of Environmental Science and ForestryAlfred State CollegeSUNY CantonSUNY at DelhiSUNY Empire State CollegeSUNY Health Science Center at BrooklynSUNY Upstate Medical UniversitySUNY Maritime CollegeTeachers College, Columbia UniversityThe College of New RochelleThe College of Saint RoseThe Juilliard SchoolThe New SchoolTouro CollegeUnion CollegeUnited States Military AcademyUtica CollegeVaughn College of Aeronautics and TechnologyWagner CollegeThe Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and ArtLaGuardia Community CollegeThe New York Conservatory for Dramatic ArtsSuffolk County Community CollegeBorough of Manhattan Community CollegeKingsborough Community CollegeHudson Valley Community CollegeFinger Lakes Community CollegeAdirondack Community College American Academy of Dramatic Arts- New YorkBronx Community College Cayuga County Community CollegeClinton Community College (NY)Corning Community College Fulton-Montgomery Community CollegeHelene Fuld College of Nursing Herkimer County Community CollegeHostos Community College Jamestown Community College Mohawk Valley Community CollegeMonroe Community College Nassau Community College Onondaga Community College Orange County Community CollegeQueensborough Community CollegeSchenectady County Community CollegeSUNY Broome Community CollegeTompkins-Cortland Community CollegeWestchester Community College
- By State
- By City